Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Caned and able

Isn't a cane a marvelous invention? My mother used this cane and I
remember what a challenge it was getting her to accept the fact that using
it was a good thing. I had to sneak it home from the “cane store” and
casually drop it into conversation. Though many say I am a lot like my
mother I do not follow her character when it comes to the cane. I find it
to be an extremely versatile tool. Its primary use not with-standing, it
has functioned as a hook on the foot of the bed to get me up and down, an
arm extender when I drop things to the floor, a cat herder, and recently I
have noticed its use in conversation. There is nothing like a point
emphasized with a long stick.

We’ve had some company and many cards and letters (electronic and snail)
in the 24 hours since coming home. I’m feeling quite well if I don’t move
too quickly. As many of you can attest I have never been known for the
speed at which I move either in physical or intellectual realms. The words
“Jim Klein” and “quickly” are not often heard in the same sentence. This
is a monumental admission for someone who professes to be a “chancellor of
change.” In our world change happens constantly and our ability to adapt
is the key to whether or not we have to use a cane or simply walk up
right. We all need something to lean on at one time or another.

I thank G-d for the canes I lean on, not only the metal and rubber one
that keeps me from falling on my face but for all the people that support
me every day. Through this time I have been amazed at how people have
come forward offering support, whether in trouble or out, G-d shows His
grace and mercy through people. We only need to pay attention and keep
leaning.

JR

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How good to read your latest Jim. With my own intimate understanding the rarity of connecting speed and our persona so to speak, it is all too obvious (and welcome indeed) that your good humor and imagination is flourishing! Your many friends carry you in our hearts, and look eagerly for the next blogged epistle. Peace my friend . . . Hugh

Anonymous said...

Hello Jim,
Mark and I are praising G-D that
you are both "Caned" & "Able".
And looking forward to the days
ahead when you will be dancing a
"jig". ;-)
Roxanne

jrklein said...

Mimi:

AH, Yes.. a silver lion's head that could focus attention by rising up and bite me in the tuchus. Sometimes you need a cane like that too. Thank you for being my silver lion at times. I have always valued your perspective.

JR

jrklein said...

Hugh:
Thanks for you kind words. I will attempt to take longer, to write less, and say more.

JR