Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I was expecting to feel sixteen again.

I was expecting to feel sixteen again. After all, my chauffeur had been doing an exemplary job and there was really no need to be anxious to get behind the wheel except for the indefinable urge to take control of a 4,500 pound machine. The Doctor had explicitly prescribed no driving until we were done with the drugs. I don’t know what drugs he was on but I finished mine up and having passed that test, with a blatant disregard for my Doctor, decided to take up the challenge and drive again. Admittedly, there was a bit of excitement and more anticipation then I may want to confess but as I slid behind the wheel a strange feeling of transition shuttered through me very much like the feeling experience when clothing replaced pajamas. One more shift, not back to, but forward toward what some call normal but what I expect to be an abnormal life.

My friend Ralph sent me a letter. It was a delight on a number of levels, not the least of which was that it was hand written. There is something about putting pen to paper that reveals an almost lost intimacy. Ralph hasn’t been driving either. He’s been plodding along the valley path and, though separated by space not spirit, we’ve both enjoyed “spending time in the garden…where I’ve quieted myself enough to hear. G-d speaks, peace follows,” both anticipating getting behind the wheel again. And the “path”ology was as encouraging and worthy of thankfulness for Ralph as for me. Tied up neatly in the little phrase, “The Doctor…feels they were able to get all of it” is such an invitation to the abnormal life.

Life can no longer be normal when you have felt the touch of the healing hand. When you have been plunged beneath the black water of death seeing only the distorted forms of light above the surface and as the shadows of death close in on that light and fear threatens to overtake you there it is. The Healer’s hand. Not thrashing the water frantically searching for you but calmly, not pulling but pushing you from the water. He’s been there all the time holding us up. Maybe its circumstance, or lack of focus, or fear, or selfishness that keeps us from seeing but none-the-less He’s there anyway. So to expect that the One who would support and comfort in such times of need would disappear when situations improve, makes little sense. Therefore, a life lived with attentiveness to the presence and activity of the Comforter can in no way be considered normal. I think Ralph would agree that even though there is a rush about being behind the wheel it’s probably a lot better to just let the chauffeur do His job. I believe being abnormal should be quite normal.

JR

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put. I told a friend yesterday as I left work that I was going out "in search of normalcy." Perhaps it is a worthless pursuit. Do you know that you are become a guide to me? This morning they drugged me, shoved a camera and who knows what else down my throat and took three biopsy samples from places where the sun don't shine. I watched incredulously on a TV monitor. I am awaiting news of results, but results of a blood test have already had good effect. The mention of eosinophilia sent me to google, which led me into a wonderland of -omas and -itises - - more possiblities for medical catastrophe than you can shake a cane at. Well, alone at worship this weekend (Mimi in Minnesota) I found tears running down my face for the first time in memory - not tears of self-pity, but of true gratitude for the realization that I'm really not in control, but it's okay because I really trust the One Who Really Is In Control. That is my waiting room confession.

Thanks for writing "You've done all the dying you need to do. This is just another change." That really means alot.

Live with abandon.
Drive carefully.

Tom

Anonymous said...

This journey that you have traveled seems to be similar to so many that I have known and some that I still know. My mom informed me of this blog and of your condition recently, after my father's surgery and as I am home alone today, I decided to read it. I had forgotten your humor and your spirit. I remember now. Bless you and Lola and the rest of your family.

Jodie

Anonymous said...

Jodie:

Thanks for your contribution to this montage. Your parents have confronted the challenge of life with G-d's strength and dignity. You have parents to be proud of and visa versa.

JR