Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I don't sleep well

I don’t sleep well. That’s not to say I’m not a good sleeper. I suppose more accurately I’m a short sleeper. Getting up two or three times every night to stroll around the house, talk to G-d, talk to the cat, or make notes to myself has become normal. At first I was somewhat distraught rehearsing how miserable tomorrow would be if sleep continued its perforated character. Then one night I had a “defining moment”, much like Esther’s ”such a time as this?" defining moment presented by Rabbi Silverman in the Purim message. It came to me in a blinding flash of the obvious, “this is a time to listen”. After that everything was different and I even somewhat enjoy this second sleep idea because in the quiet of the night G-d’s voice seems more singular. It is important to know G-d’s voice in this noisy world full of a virtual cacophony of sounds that continually bombard the ear and cloud the mind.
My defining moment leads me to think about Passover and how G-d’s protection and guidance redeemed the Jewish people from their harsh bondage and saved them from death itself. What if there had been no one to hear and recognizes the voice of G-d. What if Moses would have come down from the mountain and said to his wife, “I saw the darnedest thing, a bush that burned and was not destroyed. You don’t see that every day. What a coincidence.” He would have missed a defining moment and everything would have been different. What if the Hebrew slave that, rather than shaking his head and wagging his finger at Moses, said, “I think I’m going to put blood on my door post.” and changed the history of a nation and the world.
Passover teaches many lessons. The one I think about now is how G-d remains active and present in this noisy world. If we want to hear him we have to pay attention. We can’t sleep through His constant attempts to protect, guide, redeem, and save. He has not stopped speaking or become disinterested. He hears us as we rehearse the miseries of life and waits for us to wake up and recognize that He’s been here all the time waiting to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, brother. Thanks for the insight. I don't sleep well, either. I'll try to pay more attention to listening.